Sunday, March 8, 2009

Candy Bar...Best Idea Ever!

When I first started researching wedding things, I must admit, I was pretty clueless. I'd been to only a handful and most of them were either wayyyy non-traditional or relatively stuffy. Most of the customs and traditions to me seemed relatively fun, but hey, they def. need some magic pumped into them. Favors for the most part always seemed like such a waste to me...does anybody REALLY want a wedding cake shaped candle? A coaster with our faces on it? I'm not thinking they do.

I came across the concept of the "candy bar"...a self service favor idea that not only gave people something they like, but amped up the decor Willy Wonka style! Added bonus: with a Halloween wedding, this is like adult trick or treating...always fun.
Many online candy companies will carry sweets in a variety of colors to match any theme. I found this place to be the best: Candy Warehouse. They have many nostalgic old-time candies, as well as current favorites wrapped in fun lil' packages.

Right now, my main concern is what kind of containers to use. I've toyed with the idea of hat boxes, various shaped black bowls, even cookie tins. However, I think that since the candy is so beautiful, the best way to go is clear. I also love the look of a variety of heights on the table...it's more pleasing to the eye and offers a better boost to the decor than a single flat height.
I love the vintage looking apothecary jars:
Photobucket
Or yummy parfait glasses:
Photobucket

I know I want to use chinese take out boxes for the guests to "take away"...with the tokidoki theme and ease of use, I can't think of anything else better! Here are some cutesy options:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here are some of my favorite candy bar inspirations...so many ways to make it fabulous!

5 comments:

  1. I've been looking at these too, I luuuurve them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are seriously adorable! And how doesn't love candy??

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, can you get jelly beans with you and joe's picture on them?! that would be crazy awesome... though maybe disturbing to eat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha...that would be hot! And yes...slightly disturbing =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Tracy! i am a bit of an amateur event planner in my spare time (what little i have, anyway lol) and i've done the 'favor buffet' at a couple of my friends' weddings, and they were an absolute HIT. they look great if done right, are super popular and a lot of fun to put together!

    there are very cute "scoops" you can get at michaels or the container store or any home store really that work great and look nice too for the containers full of candy.

    have fun, good luck, and let me know if you need any help!

    ReplyDelete