Monday, March 16, 2009

To Balloon...?

Photobucket

Balloons. I kinda love 'em. Perhaps it's because I'm tacky. Every stupid wedding thing I read says that Balloons are a no-no...passe...juvenile. I'm not sure I care. Here's the scoop: our space is not that purdy. The walls are kinda icky and there are pictures on the wall. The best cover up, in my opinion, would be helium balloons around the perimeter. They arrive blown up and don't have much set up. If we tried to get pipe and drape or anything like that we'd have too much on our hands.
Enter: this image of Betsey Johnson's fragrance party in her home. Betsey always finds a way to make playful and youthful statements with typically "kiddie" items. I think the balloons add a fun pop...don't you?
Another aspect in favor of Balloons...since I want to create a world that Adios and Ciao Ciao would belong in, it makes perfect sense! They are often featured holding balloons...and in this case: heart shaped balloons!
Photobucket
However, I have NO IDEA how much filled balloons cost, nor do I know if I would have someone who could sit and prepare them if we just rented helium. I really really think they'll be fun, so I need to source it all out. Here are some yummies that I've seen!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Have any of you ever purchased balloons, blown up, for a decent size party?

5 comments:

  1. i think balloons are a great idea! when i worked at zambra (restaurant) we always filled a bunch of balloons to decorate on new year's eve. i didnt pay for them, so cant speak for that, but can ask my old boss (and friend) if you want. i can say, though, that all you need is a couple of friends who enjoy chipmunk voices to get them all filled up. yes, you may loose some helium this way, but probably cheaper than paying someone else to fill them still! i'd actually volunteer to do it myself, but i feel that would be premature at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm VERY sure that it'd be cheaper to do 'em ourselves...plus, those heart shaped balloons are do-it yourself styles. We'll see. Chipmunk voices: added bonus!!! I guess I need to figure out how many I need before I can decide...ya know? Any tips or names would help. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately all my connections are in Asheville, so I can't be of any help in that department. Except there's my photographer friend who lives in Chicago, which is still quite a drive, but here's his page if you're interested:
    www.myspace.com/johnburdett

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say for certain, as it's been a while since I've thought about it, but I'm pretty sure Party Source will let you rent a helium tank, and I know they have a huge selection of balloons (I'd be surprised if they didn't have heart shaped ones).
    Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on if they still do it, but it's definitely something to think about and look into!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tracy, I'm having such a blast reading through this website :)

    here in cincinnati, the average cost for filled balloons is $8.99 per dozen. I'm assuming you'd want a lot of balloons, so you can rent a helium tank and buy balloons, you can usually average 100 or so balloons for $50 that way. filling them up is just a matter of getting a few friends together...

    ~Sadia

    ReplyDelete